I confess I have not been keeping up with assignments on my Genealogy Do-Over. I have succumbed to the common genealogy temptation of chasing BSOs (bright shiny objects).
After I got my atDNA results I just had to pursue the intriguing mystery of my British Isles ethnic makeup. And the excitement of ‘meeting’ my closest matches.
I exchanged emails with the son of a gentleman from Transylvania who seems to be related to my GGG-grandmother. Then a delightful correspondence with my 2nd match. We scoured our extensive family trees and have not been able to find any clues about our common ancestor. I guess that will have to wait until other common matches show up.
Having been bitten by the DNA bug, I couldn’t resist chasing more distant matches up the hills and down the dales of GedMatch and Family Search. When I finally got a hold of myself I realized that I was running around in circles. Time to get back to Do-Over basics.
I made a spreadsheet fashioned after the Do-Over research log, but adapted to DNA-BSO chasing. If I can’t stop following those irresistible shiny things, at least I will document what I’m doing. And when I come back later I can see what I have learned. Perhaps one lesson from the Do-Over has had some impact on me.
So the score today is;
BSOs – 1
Me – 1
I call that a good day!