I Found Twins!
While working on a story about my great-grandfather Zsigmond Edes I rechecked the birth index from Vukovar where he was born. I stumbled upon an index reference to twin sisters, Rosina and Anna, which I had not noticed earlier.
Spelling variations are a common problem in genealogy research and so is the challenge of deciphering century old handwriting. Edes is a simple name but it can look like Eles, Eder and even Ecles. I followed the reference and found that the twins were indeed baby sisters of Zsigmond.
My initial reaction was delight. My mother had always been fascinated with twins. She dressed me and my year older sister in identical clothes often, and she admitted to a bit of jealousy when her brother’s wife gave birth to twin girls. But before doing my genealogy happy dance a sobering thought occurred to me. I looked more closely at the Latin notes in the birth record. After their names were the words gemelli (twins) and posthumi (after death). My own family records confirmed the sad fact. The twins were born two months after their father died in 1865 from a pulmonary edema.
This wasn’t the first loss for young Zsigmond’s mother, Julianna Vill. Her first husband János Mészáros died of typhus in several months prior to the birth of their son János junior in May 1857. A year later Julianna married my 2nd great grandfather Zsigmond Sr. I already knew of the 3 children born during the short marriage of Julianna and Zsigmond. Now there were 2 more girls to add to my family records. It was a cruel irony that she lost 2 husbands before their children were born. When the twins were born Julianna was barely 30 years old and became a single mother now with 6 children under 10 years old.
Two of her children died in the childhood but we believe Anna outlived her mother. She must have been a comfort for her mother who lost so much in her life.
In typical fashion, it’s almost February and I am finally getting around to my New Year’s resolutions. Well, I bet some of you out there who made your resolutions in a more timely fashion have already fallen off the proverbial wagons. So perhaps I’m ahead of the game.
Here are my New and Improved resolutions for 2016;
- Develop an organizational strategy that works for me
- Focus my search for DNA matches
- Get back to writing about my family history
- Write about the process of genealogy research in Eastern Europe
Of course, I did not accomplish everything I planned to do last year. But I have made some progress and revisions in my approach to research. My resolutions for 2015 were;
- Organize my research by following the Genealogy Do-Over plan
- See what I could learn from DNA
- Continue writing about my family history
I planned to follow Thomas McEntee’s Genealogy Do-Over plan to redo my genealogy research the right way. Well that lasted a couple of weeks. I may have learned something from the experience however. I am not sufficiently disciplined to stick to my to-do list. I am not going to stop chasing BSOs. But I am doing better at documenting what I learned from the BSO detours.
I am still trying to find a format for a genealogy research log that will work for me. McEntee recommends a formatted Excel spreadsheet. Geoff Rasmussen from Legacy Family Tree webinars uses an MS Word document and then copies his research notes to the general notes section in the Legacy periodically. I have always written notes in a spiral notebook so I have a record of what I have done but it isn’t very accessible. I review the notebooks periodically and sometimes find things that I didn’t see the first time through.
Today I started with Notebook 1 reviewing my notes and adding To-Do items into Legacy. This way I can actually find the To-Do items by ancestor or location.
The really big thing for me in 2015 was getting deep into DNA. I confirmed a family story from the 17th century and found some very distant relatives in the process. I will write more about that later.
I was surprised to find that I actually had some DNA matches. However they are all pretty distant and I have yet to find a common ancestor for any of my matches. Instead, I have refocused on traditional genealogy research to fill out more of my family tree so that someday I may hit the ancestor jackpot.
I have my work cut out for me, so I had better get back to it.
Here’s wishing you a Happy 2016, and may all your genealogy dreams come true!
I confess I have not been keeping up with assignments on my Genealogy Do-Over. I have succumbed to the common genealogy temptation of chasing BSOs (bright shiny objects).
After I got my atDNA results I just had to pursue the intriguing mystery of my British Isles ethnic makeup. And the excitement of ‘meeting’ my closest matches.
I exchanged emails with the son of a gentleman from Transylvania who seems to be related to my GGG-grandmother. Then a delightful correspondence with my 2nd match. We scoured our extensive family trees and have not been able to find any clues about our common ancestor. I guess that will have to wait until other common matches show up.
Having been bitten by the DNA bug, I couldn’t resist chasing more distant matches up the hills and down the dales of GedMatch and Family Search. When I finally got a hold of myself I realized that I was running around in circles. Time to get back to Do-Over basics.
I made a spreadsheet fashioned after the Do-Over research log, but adapted to DNA-BSO chasing. If I can’t stop following those irresistible shiny things, at least I will document what I’m doing. And when I come back later I can see what I have learned. Perhaps one lesson from the Do-Over has had some impact on me.
So the score today is;
BSOs – 1
Me – 1
I call that a good day!